In July 2016 the Centre successfully launched its Beacon School Quality Mark programme recognising commitment to ongoing quality provision for and innovation in teaching and learning about the Holocaust. The quality mark enables us to champion best practice and continue the Centre’s and schools’ developmental partnerships beyond the Beacon School programme year.
The programme began with a one day, pre-arranged visit to The Bishop Challoner Catholic Federation of Schools in Tower Hamlets, London. Such visits (at the schools request), and the subsequent report generated, would:
- provide invaluable external evidence base and verification of a schools best practice
- champion the cause of Holocaust education and its contribution to a broad and balanced curriculum
- recognise the impact of Holocaust education and investment in CPD
- be developmental and supportive.
The review process is designed to include a survey of any related documentation, policies or data prior to the visit; with a subsequent one day visit including a tour of school, meetings with the Headteacher or SLT and lead teacher, a meeting with teaching colleagues across the school who have received specialist CPD and teach about the Holocaust, a student voice panel, an opportunity to see Holocaust teaching and learning in action and work scrutiny.
During the Quality Mark visit we were shown a short film created by students and staff at Bishop Challoner, the video demonstrates how the CPD programme has been embedded by teachers, how students were reflecting on the stories they encountered and their sense of pride in being a UCL Beacon School for Holocaust education.
Watch their short film:
To date, these Beacon Schools have achieved Quality Mark status:
- Bishop Challoner – Quality Mark
- Croydon High School – Quality Mark
- CSS South Quadrant – Quality Mark
- Harris Academy South Norwood – Quality Mark
- Newport Girls High School – Quality Mark
- Nishkam High School – Quality Mark
- Rodillian Academy – Quality Mark
- Royal Wootton Bassett Academy – Quality Mark
- Sandhurst School – Quality Mark
- St Michael’s Church of England High School – Quality Mark
- Stratton Upper School – Quality Mark
- Tapton School – Quality Mark
- The Hermitage Academy – Quality Mark
- Torpoint Community College – Quality Mark
- Woking High School – Quality Mark
- Rockwood Academy (pending)
We look forward to our other Beacon Schools taking up this exciting opportunity to recognise such excellent work in the future.